Thursday 3 May 2012

Project CELTICA - part 1.

So finally I have come to write a little bit about the new RPG I'm designing with a good friend of mine.
Sometime I'm going to give a decent name to it, but for the time being, I'm just gonna call it Project CELTICA. Sounds cool though.
So as the codename indicates, this is going to an RPG based on celtic mythology, mainly its creatures and its mood. The whole idea of making a new game came from an adventure I was writing for Dragon Age. It was supposed to be based on the system of Dragon Age, but with a celtic setting, I even designed my own backgrounds for the adventure. But instead of getting it played, we started other campaigns, and I decided that this whole celtic setting thing deserves an own system, and a new world around it. This is how I came to start working on it.
Some things we have already decided with my friend about Celtica:

  • It's gonna be a d12-based RPG. Why? Cuz' we love this dice, and there are so few other games using this precius dice. First I was planning to use the good old d20, but there are so many systems already based on it. I guess that makes me bit of a hipster, cuz' d20 is too mainstream. :D
  • I'm not going to introduce gods to the game, I'll be having five spirits as patrons for people. The four elements, Fire, Air, Water, Earth, and a fifth one, who will be the "evil" brother of these four.
  • The moon will have great impact on things. Those born at full moon are "spirit-touched", and will bear the gift of being able to weave magic. 
  • The only avaliable race is going to be human. Dwarves, elves exist, but in the dark cavern of the mountains and secret groves of the forests. They tend to avoid the long ones. 
  • There are going to be 3 main classes (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard), divided into subclasses, using a talent system like the one in Star Wars: Saga Edition.
So far these are the pillar ideas of this celtic RPG, there are lots of ideas still that are almost ready, but these will come in bundles, so everything could be in one place.
Next time I'm going to write about the planned combat system, I guess it's gonna be pretty simple and make the battles go quick and deadly. 
I'll also start introducing the world of Celtica, the five spirits, the mood, the geography, etc.
Stay tuned, I really hope write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment